Thursday, July 19, 2012

It’s not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog that counts

I happen to be teaching Summer Academy this summer at Treehouse and it has been a wonderful and challenging experience so far.  We teach academics in the morning (I teach math) and enrichment in the afternoon.  When I heard that sportsmanship and martial arts would be one of the enrichment choices, I jumped at the chance to teach it.  Boy am I glad I did.  Some of you may know that I have become real interested in martial arts and MMA through my boyfriend Cord.  He trains in MMA (bjj, kick boxing and wrestling) but is particularly interested in BJJ or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  I have become hooked on watching UFC matches, following the fighters and going to Cord's tournaments.  It is about so much more than people realize.

In the past two weeks, I have had the incredible opportunity to try these martial arts out!  And believe it or not, with a group of 7 foster kids.  It has been one of the most fun, playful and incredible experiences of my career.  And, it has really awaken in me and interest in pursuing some of these activities in my free time.  So to recap my last two weeks, we've done....

* Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with the amazing Cindy Hale of Sleeper Athletics - Mostly Brazilian jiu jitsu with some judo and wrestling take-downs thrown in!  Cindy is one of the most impressive instructors I have ever met and her affect on my foster youth was immeasurable.  One of my girls has already signed up!

                          (I didn't look quite this cool, but you get the idea)

* Tae Kwon Do with Terry of DMW Martial Arts - We learned a lot of self defense, how to escape and attacker and some basic tae kwon do.  It was a great experience and the kids loved learning how to empower themselves.  


* Boxing with coach Erica at Cappy's Gym in the Central District - This was my personal favorite because I love to box and man was it an intense workout.  I am going to be sore for days....

                                    (This is not me - but it could have been!)

Because I enjoyed my boxing class today so much, I've decided to take one of the official adult classes next week.  I am sure it will be significantly more intense, but I can't wait!!!  I will be sure to report back...

No comments:

Post a Comment