Thursday, January 10, 2013

Recipes & Restaurants to Support a Cleanse


I'm 9 days into the cleanse and feeling really good.  I've gotten past any of the side effects of detoxing from gluten and dairy and it's lovely.  A big part of why I feel so good, is that I've been eating incredible food.  It really is true, we are what we eat, and I've been eating whole mostly organic foods for 9 days.  Whenever I go into a cleanse, I'm racked with worry about what I'll be able to eat.  I have anxiety about following strict guidelines, not "treating" myself and getting sick of eating healthy.  Last year I wasn't so successful.  I spent the whole thing planning the meal I would eat, pizza and beer, for the moment I got done.  So everything felt like a punishment and I wasn't living in the present.  I was living in the future when I could get back to my idea of normal eating.

I decided to do things differently this time.  I decided to spend money on quality products that taste delicious.    Learn how to make some simple recipes that use great ingredients, are affordable, give me energy and taste great.  I've taken myself out for an occasional meal to a restaurant that can support my restrictions.

Start the day out right!

Most cleanses recommend a homemade smoothie or juice to start out the day.  I love this idea, but after trying it briefly, I realized it wasn't sustainable for me.  I have a Vitamix, which is amazing, but buying fresh produce, prepping it and making the smoothie every morning was too time intensive for me.  My solution, Evolution Fresh which can be found at Starbucks and most health food stores (Central Co-op, PCC, Whole Foods, etc.)  There are a number of flavors, but Sweet Greens with Lemon is my favorite.  On the side of the bottle, they tell you everything that's in it and the quantity.  You can start out your day with a jump start on your veggies or fruit!  Plus they are delicious!

Evolution Fresh - Sweet Greens

What I drink every morning

Another key, for me, to a successful cleanse, is to treat yourself now and again.  Luckily living in Seattle, there are many vegetarian and vegan restaurants who have perfected the art.  My top spots right now are Cafe Flora, Plum Bistro, Healeo and Tamarind Tree.  I have had delicious and satisfying meals at all these restaurants in the past 9 days.  

Chantrelle, Leek, Pickled Pepper and Mascarpone Pizza - Cafe Flora
(Great gluten free crust and soy cheese that was amazing)

Learn to make satisfying and easy recipes that combine healthful ingredients.  Here are a couple examples of the food I have been coming up with.  See my last post for more examples.  One of my favorite sources is my nutritionist Sarah Adler's blog "Simply Real Health."  Everything I've made from there has been easy, inexpensive and very tasty!

 Spaghetti Squash "Pasta" w/Chicken Sausage, San Marzano Sauce, Mushrooms & Zucchini

 Poblano Chicken Chili - from Simply Real Health Blog

Cental Co-op Deli Selection - Raspberry Beets, Roasted Carrots, 
Falgeolet Beans and Herb Turkey Breast


Get creative and eat food you love!  

No comments:

Post a Comment