Friday, December 21, 2012

State Bird Provisions

There is just about nothing better in this world to me than an amazing culinary experience.  That is exactly what I got at State Bird Provisions.  I have the good fortune of visiting my best friend Megan in San Francisco, several times a year.  She luckily is also a foodie and loves to try new places with me when I come to visit.  So when she suggested we make a play to get into State Bird - both the hottest new restaurant in San Fran and Bon Appetit's "Restaurant of the Year," I was totally game.

We arrived at 4:15pm, to try and snag a coveted table, on a Monday.  You can make a reservation two months ahead of time, if you call within a couple minutes of the release.  We didn't have one, but had heard if we showed up early enough, waited in line and were one of the first ten people, we could probably make it in.  For me personally, this added to the excitement and anticipation.  We made it in!

Although a cozy table is always nice, I prefer the chef's counter.  The ability to see the masters at work and possibly interact with them is always my first choice.  Luckily we were seated right in front of the chef and got to see all the action.  State Bird has an interesting style of service.  Items are delivered in an almost dim sum fashion where they are brought around on trays or carts with an assigned price.  You decide in that moment if you'd like to try the dish.  It was a blast.


I convinced Megan not to hold back, I wanted to try everything.  Here is what we had:

New found love of oysters!

Oyster on the half shell with kohlrabi and chili oil

Huckleberry marinated beets with goat yogurt

Guinea hen dumplings with aromatic broth

Sherry glaze smoked potato with tonnato

Garlic bread with burrata

Ciccioli with rosemary buttermilk cracker

Sweatbread polpette with blackened fig

Duck liver mouse and honeyed cornbread

California state bird with provisions (quail)

Sweet corn & garlic chive "shortstack" with Mt. Tam

Plum jam "ice cream" sandwich, chocolate & fennel

"World Peace" peanut muscovado milk shot

Happy Alexis

Next time you are in San Francisco, I highly recommend you check State Bird out.  It was truly a meal of a lifetime.




No comments:

Post a Comment