Friday, September 14, 2012

Coffee



Oh how I love coffee.  And I am giving it up, again.  I participated in a detox/cleanse through Replenish PDX back in January in which we cut out just about everything, including caffeine and alcohol.  It was a process giving up caffeine, but I got great tips and instruction that made the process really bearable.  When I tell people that I'm giving up coffee (or did for a while), they always look at me strange.  Why in the world would I want to do that?  This is an especially big question considering I live in Seattle, where we have the best coffee in the world - Stumptown, Vivace, Vita, etc.

I have my reasons:
  • Sleep - If you have any issues with insomnia, I recommend you try cutting out caffeine. This seems like a no-brainer, but I think people don't actually do it.  I have had insomnia off and on for my whole life, but it completely went away when I cut out the caffeine.
  • The way I feel - I just feel better and more calm without the caffeine.  Less jittery and my stomach doesn't rarely hurts. 
  • My time - I find that when I'm drinking coffee, it sort of rules things.  Like if I don't have time to get some in the morning, I panic, because I know that a headache will set in any minute.  I don't like to feel like I am relying on a stimulant to feel normal and healthy or ready to work.
  • Money - Spending money on coffee and soda adds up.  There is a nifty feature on Mint.com which tells you just how much you are spending on coffee shops.  I didn't think I went to them that much, mint.com said otherwise.  A couple dollars here and there really adds up when you are looking at your monthly budget.
Tips for going caffeine free:
  • Do it gradually - Don't go off caffeine cold turkey if you consume it on a daily basis.  Unless of course you want to feel horrible and instantly regret going off caffeine.  This is how I did it (based on drinking probably 2 coffees a day):
    • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - cut down to drinking just one coffee in the morning
    • Thursday, Friday - Drink green tea in the morning (less caffeine - but still a little)
    • Saturday, Sunday - Drink a warm decaffeinated beverage in the morning (when I would normally have coffee) like herbal tea.  My favorite is vanilla hazlenut with honey and milk.
    • Then do whatever works for you - if you like having a warm drink to wake up, continue with the herbal tea or decaf coffee.  If you find you don't need that, replace it with juice or water.
  • Come prepared - If you are going somewhere that coffee will be offered (meeting, out with friends, etc.) come prepared with your own drink.  I would plan ahead by bringing my tea in my thermos so I don't feel left out. 
  • Find better energy - We don't need caffeine.  When I gave it up, I was able to wake up just fine without it, it just took a little getting used to.  Our bodies are made to do this on our own without help.  I get my energy from exercising and getting enough sleep.  Another good trick is to eat an apple in the afternoon when you feel like you are lagging.  It works just as well as a cup of coffee or can of soda.  Try it!
I am starting this process again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment